We have recently upgraded to Cosmelan MD – the top level of Cosmelan which allows us to individually customize the levels of lightening ingredients best suited to your needs. Cosmelan MD is designed to provide an initial quick and ongoing control program which is ideal of skin lightening, melasma (pregnancy mask), age spots, sun spots and other pigmentation issues.
Find out how the Cosmelan mask can improve your complexion by calling (844) 202-8200 today for a complimentary consultation.
Cosmelan – No Skin Type Restriction
You are not limited to the use of Cosmelan because of skin type or time of year. Cosmelan is effective for both men and women who suffer from discoloration caused by excess pigment on the forehead, cheeks, upper lip or neck.
An Internationally Successful Topical DePigmentation Program
Cosmelan is the answer to dark spots and mottled pigmentation, especially on the face. These discolorations are one of the greatest aesthetic concerns facing men and women today. Instead of covering your face with heavy make-up or foundation, return your skin to its natural tone. The Cosmelan depigmentation treatment, originally developed in Spain, is very effective on ethnic skin. Only by affecting the skin’s melanin (color-producing pigment) formation can a person suffering from brown spots obtain a clearing or blending of their skin.
Cosmelan improves your skin tone in a safe, non-invasive manner. The process provides the following benefits compared with other types of treatments.
- It’s very effective for all types of melasma.
- The procedure is rapid and easy.
- The product is compatible with all skin types.
- The light peeling effect rejuvenates and increases luminosity of the skin.
- Treatments can start and be used all year round.
- As a bonus, it’s also effective for acne patients.
The process involves a versatile program easily adapted to the needs of each individual patient and is highly effective on Hispanic skin.
The Cosmelan Depigmentation Process
Developed in Spain, Cosmelan de-pigmentation begins with a “leave on mask” which results in a skin peel. Following the peel, you will continue with easy to follow home care products. Cosmelan is a topical option for melasma, acne and other pigment problems. Cosmelan has a direct suppression effect on the formation of pigment (melanin). The process is simple.
Unwanted excess skin pigmentation is most often caused by the following:
- Sun exposure
- Hormonal changes
- The specially formulated pigment-reduction activating mask (Cosmelan I Mask) is applied to the skin and left on for a predetermined number of hours. This is in great part dependent upon the amount of pigmentation as well as your skin sensitivity levels This prolonged “wearing” of the mask is a key component in stimulating the fastest response. We will apply the Cosmelan I Mask at the office.
- Once the development and action time is complete, you may wash the mask off. The intensive action ingredients in the new Cosmelan MD include hydroquinone and retinoic acid. Hydroquinone will staunch the pigmentation cycle while retinoic acid encourages quick cell turnover. This helps you to more quickly shed brown patches and discoloration. The combination ingredients are an excellent combination which has been shown to provide a superior removal of old pigment and suppression of new pigment.
- Your At-Home Cosmelan Program will consist of active-ingredient products you will use on a consistent basis to further improve pigmentation problems and prevent excess pigment formation. Your maintenance cream, Cosmelan II, will be used on a ongoing basis. This special pigment control cream contains ingredients such as Kojic Acid, Phytic Acid, Ascorbic Acid and a protective agent, Titanium Dioxide.
- Cosmelan At Home Instructions. Active ingredients include hydroquinone, retinoic acid, azelaic acid, kojic acid, arbutine, phytic acid and ascorbic acid. The Cosmelan® Depigmentation action mechanism is based on the inhibition of tyrosinase, a basic enzyme responsible for the melanin formation process. Several of the substances present in the Cosmelan formula act by blocking this enzyme.
What is Cosmelan depigmentation?
Cosmelan is a product developed in Spain to address the pigment issues of the skin. It is a blend of Vitamin C, azaleic acid, phytic acid and kojic acid in a retinol base. Hydroquinone and retinoic acid have been added to the time-proven formula for faster and more complete pigmentation clearing.
What are the restrictions for using Cosmelan?
You may not use Cosmelan if you are a pregnant or nursing woman, or have been using Accutane for the past 6 month. Your medical history will be reviewed, and it will be determined if you are a candidate for the treatment.
Are there any side effects to the treatment?
The skin becomes reddened, and you will experience a light peeling effect. You will be instructed to use your moisturizer and a daily sun block SPF 30 or greater. During any periods of prolonged sun exposure, you will be instructed to wear a hat and your sun block.
Is this a one time treatment or a series?
Most will achieve desirable results with one application of the peel. Occasionally you will need to repeat the process. You will need to continue with the maintenance program to prevent darkening of the pigment.
Does insurance cover the cost of this treatment?
No, this procedure is considered cosmetic, and insurance does not cover the cost. The cost of the procedure and treatment plan will be discussed with you at the time of your consultation.
Additional or Alternative Treatments for Hyperpigmentation
From time to time additional measures are incorporated to further the results. Poor skin texture combined with pigmentation may respond best to fractional resurfacing, as will melasma and chloasma that does not respond to topical treatments.
Other complementary treatments include:
- Chemical peels may be used as an adjunctive in reducing sun damage-related pigmentation.
- IPL Photo facial for pigmentation that is not hormonally induced is good also for diffuse pigmentation from sun damage.
- PhotoDynamic Rejuvenation is a process for targeting damaged skin cells with a topical light activated solution.
If you would like to learn more about what La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic can do for you, please contact our office today by completing the form on this page or calling (844) 202-8200 to schedule your initial complimentary consultation.