Modern advances in technology have made laser resurfacing safer and more effective than ever. Laser skin resurfacing can now be used to treat everything from fine lines and wrinkles to acne scars to pigmentation problems. It is a great way to achieve smooth, even, glowing skin at any age, and nowadays certain types of laser resurfacing can even be used on those with darker skin tones.
If you’d like to turn back the hands of time on your skin, contact La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic in San Diego at (866) 676-3242 today to schedule your complimentary consultation.
What Is Laser Skin Resurfacing?
Laser skin resurfacing involves the use of a cosmetic laser to stimulate the skin’s natural healing response and collagen production. There are two main types of cosmetic lasers available:
- Ablative: Ablative lasers are more aggressive than non-ablative and can produce dramatic results with just a single treatment. The trade-off for these dramatic results is that you will need up to a week of downtime to heal. However, if you are looking to significantly rejuvenate your skin in a short period of time, ablative lasers could be a great choice.
- Non-ablative: Non-ablative lasers are a gentler option if you can’t spare the time for healing that ablative lasers require, or if you are after subtler results. Non-ablative lasers target the dermal layer of the skin without damaging the epidermis, and generally require multiple sessions for optimal results.
We offer both types of laser treatments and will work together with you to determine which type is best for your particular skin concerns. In some cases, a combination treatment may provide the best results; laser resurfacing can be done together with other treatments such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and dermal fillers for more comprehensive results.
What Can Laser Skin Resurfacing Treat?
Laser resurfacing can effectively treat a number of skin problems, including:
- Acne Scars: Acne scars are extremely common, yet they can be very difficult to treat effectively. Laser skin resurfacing using the Fraxel Dual can provide noticeably smoother skin for many patients.
- Sun damage: Most people do not protect their skin adequately from the sun, and the result is significant damage to the skin over time. This damage can take the form of sun spots, leathery skin texture, and deep lines and wrinkles. For pronounced sun damage, the Active or DeepFX CO2 laser may be a good choice.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Laser resurfacing can be very effective in reducing perioral (also called smoker’s) lines as well as lines around the eyes. Which laser is appropriate for you will depend on the extent and location of your wrinkles. If, however, your main concern is wrinkles on the forehead, between the brows, or at the corners of the eyes (crow’s feet), a better choice may be a neuromodulator such as BOTOX® Cosmetic, Dysport®, or Xeomin®.
- Pigmentation problems: Pigmentation problems such as melasma, birthmarks, age spots, and freckles can often be treated with laser skin resurfacing. The Fraxel Dual laser is particularly good for reducing unwanted pigmentation.
- Skin texture and enlarged pores: Most fractional resurfacing lasers are good for reducing pore size and smoothing skin texture. Talk to one of our doctors to find out which is best for you.
- Scars and stretch marks: While stretch marks are unfortunately permanent, resurfacing treatments can help to significantly reduce their appearance. We use the Fraxel Re:store and our newest laser ResurFX to treat stretch marks and scarring.
Rejuvenate Your Skin Today
If you’re interested in a custom skincare plan to restore your youthful appearance, call La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic at (866) 676-3242 to schedule your consultation today. We serve patients in La Jolla, San Diego, and other nearby areas of Southern California.