There are many things you can every day to maintain youthful, healthy skin. The following simple skin care tips will help delay the natural aging process and prevent certain skin conditions from developing:
- Protect yourself from the sun – Over time, excessive sun exposure can cause serious damage to your skin, creating wrinkles and age spots, and increasing your risk of skin cancer. To protect your skin from the sun, always use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher, try to stay in the shade during the middle of the day when the sun is strongest, and cover your skin with long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and wide-brimmed hats if you cannot find shade.
- Quit smoking – Smoking is harmful to your skin for a number of reasons: it decreases blood flow in your skin, reduces the supply of oxygen and nutrients in the skin, and damages the collagen and elastin. All of these issues will cause your skin to look older and become more wrinkled.
- Be gentle with your skin care regimen – To reduce the wear and tear on your skin caused by daily bathing and shaving, be gentle. Limit your bathing time and use warm water instead of hot water. Use mild soaps that will not strip all of the oil from your skin. Use saving cream or lotion before shaving, and shave in the direction the hair grows. Gently pat your skin dry after showering to preserve some of the moisture on your skin. Make sure you use a moisturizer daily, and choose one that is right for your skin type.
- Maintain a healthy diet – To maintain younger, healthy looking skin, eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Minimize your intake of unhealthy fats and processed carbohydrates.
- Reduce stress – High levels of stress can lead to acne breakouts and other skin issues. By effectively managing your stress, you can improve the health and condition of your skin.
Of course, if these steps don’t help you achieve the beautiful skin you desire, you can always visit La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic to learn about our many skin care treatments. Dr. Mani will recommend the ideal treatment course to help keep your skin healthy and beautiful for years to come.
Please contact La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic today to schedule your skin care consultation. We serve patients in La Jolla, California.