Summer can be hard on your skin, and it’s not too late to prevent or reverse the damage you’ve suffered. Here are tips for avoiding these 7 common summer skin mistakes.
- Not using sunscreen: 90% of non-melanoma skin cancers are linked to sun exposure. Remember to apply sunscreen when you are going to be in the sun, and re-apply every 2 hours, more frequently if you’re going in the water. And while we’re on the subject—buy a fresh bottle of sunscreen every summer—it can lose effectiveness with time.
- Too much sun: Even with sunscreen, sun is hard on your skin. Make sure to schedule sun-free days into every vacation and when possible avoid the sun when it’s most intense 10am-4pm.
- Swimming after hair removal: We all want smooth legs at the beach or by the pool, but it’s important not to get right into the water after shaving, waxing, or undergoing laser hair removal. Give your skin at least three hours before getting in the water.
- Not hydrating: Your skin depends on water to remain healthy, and with exposure to sun and sun it can lose liquid at a faster rate than your core. In addition to drinking plenty of water, consider using sunscreen and lotions that moisturize the skin and a spring water facial spritz.
- Neglecting your feet: Flip flops, water shoes, and bare feet are all hard on your feet take care of them by attacking calluses with a pumice stone, and use a moisturizing lotion. This will keep your skin soft, but may interfere with toughening up your soles.
- Don’t scratch bug bites: They itch, we know, but scratching them will damage your skin.
- Not making time for skin care: It’s easy to overbook your summer schedule, but if you want your skin to look its best, make sure you leave time for skin care, including chemical peels or laser skin treatment to remove damaged skin and maintain the healthy glow
Following these tips will help you keep your skin looking its best all summer long. For help with your summer skin routine in San Diego, please contact La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinictoday.