Skin needling is a recently embraced procedure here in the U.S. Also called Microneedling, this skin rejuvenation treatment been a standard procedure in Europe for decades.
Advances over the years led to the development of automated microneedling and the development of the DermaPen®. Although not as quickly or definitively effective as lasers, this simple mechanical device based on fine needle penetration can also deliver some of the same benefits of laser at a more affordable price point.
Learn more about the DermaPen and how it can help your skin by calling La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic at (866) 676-3242 today to book a complimentary consultation.
How Does Skin Needling Work?
The premise is simple – create a small wound and the skin will respond with collagen production and new skin cells. Depending on the depth of the needle penetration, the DermaPen can offer skin rejuvenation levels from the simple enhancement of product absorption to the clinical treatment of scars and wrinkles.
What Can The DermaPen Be Used For?
DermaPen allows the physician to quickly treat specific skin areas – large or small – to achieve a number of goals:
- Lip wrinkles
- Skin texture/tone
- Pore appearance
- Increase product absorption
- Superficial facial wrinkles
- Skin texure on the neck
- Acne scarring/trauma scarring
- Melasma and pigmentation
- Textural improvements to chest
- Stretch marks
Treatment on the face is the primary location, but skin needling can successfully be used on any area of the body.
How Deep Does The DermaPen Go?
From very superficial penetration to deep dermal penetration, the professional applications have a wide range of potential to improve and correct skin problems without the use of lasers. Penetration ranges begin at cosmetic depth of 0.25mm to clinical treatment depths up to 2.5mm.
- Light penetration opens the skin long enough for the introduction of specific treatment serums. Since most product molecules are too large to cross the skin barrier, they can only be minimally effective. The DermaPen opens the skin for a few minutes and this allows a huge increase of product penetration – your product ingredients can then reach beneath the surface where they will do the most good.Treatment serums can be selected for skin lightening, hydration, texture and pore tightening.
- Mid penetration depths can have a very positive impact on superficial sun damage and light scarring to improve skin texture and tone and a visible improvement in pore size appearance.
- Deeper levels of penetration can improve acne scars, burn scars, stretch marks and tighten skin and soften wrinkles.
- DermaPen reduces the risk of post treatment pigmentation that is more prevalent with laser heat for ethnic skin (Patients will still need to use sun protection and avoid heat exposure while in the recovery phase.)
- Depending on the treatment goal, you can expect to see results immediately for product introduction benefit to 4 to 6 months for scarring.
Is Skin Needling Painful?
Superficial treatment levels are very tolerable with nothing more than topical numbing gel (the lightest application requires no numbing at all) applied prior to the treatment. In the instance of aggressive treatments, Dr. Mani will discuss the options for making the treatment the most comfortable for you.
What About Downtime?
- Day 1: Erythema and red appearance and severity will depend upon how aggressive the treatment was performed.
- Day 2: A red hue or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
- Day 3: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides. Dr. Mani will prescribe post procedure care.
What is the microneedling procedure like?
Before your microneedling session begins, we apply topical numbing cream to your treatment areas and this is allowed to take effect. Next, we attach a new, sterile, 12-needle cartridge to the DermaPen, and then select the appropriate penetration depth setting based on your treatment needs, your skin thickness, and other variables. Penetration depths can be adjusted from 0.25 mm to 2.5 mm. Next, in a single motion the pen is gently pressed against the skin while simultaneously gliding across in one direction. This is repeated until the entire treatment area has been covered. As soon we’ve covered the entire treatment area with the DermaPen passes, we apply a healing serum to your skin to calm it and start the healing process. This is especially effective, as the microscopic punctures allow the serum to reach the dermis layer.
Is there recovery after my micronneedling session?
Immediately following your treatment your skin will appear red and flushed. It will look as if you have a mild sunburn. The degree of redness will depend on the depth of the needle penetration and on how many passes were made across the treatment areas. Your skin will also feel a little tight and you may have some slight swelling. All of this will pass within a day or two at the most.
While a microneedling session won’t preclude you from going about your normal activities, it’s a good idea to schedule your session as an after-work/end of day procedure. That way you’ll have the nighttime for your skin to settle down and get busy healing itself.
What areas of the body can I have microneedling?
The usual treatment areas are the face, neck, and décolletage. However, because microneedling triggers a natural healing and skin improvement response in the skin it can be helpful across the body.
When will I notice results?
Your results from microneedling at La Jolla Cosmetic Laser build over time. There is an immediate “glow” after your treatment session, but this is an initial reaction of the skin to the punctures. Microneedling is really a progression of results. This is because your collagen and elastin production ramps up and continues. Visible changes with the skin develop over the course of several days and weeks. Your results can continue to improve for up to six months.
This is a permanent boost in collagen and elastin. But your body continues to decrease their natural production with the passing years. That’s just a fact of the aging process. For that reason, continuing microneedling treatments can be used as a way to hedge new production against the normal decline.
How many microneedling treatments will I need?
The number of treatments that will deliver the results you seek depends upon your individual goals. Most of our patients like the continued boost in collagen production and the look it gives their skin. They opt for a series of 4-6 treatments spaced about 4-6 weeks apart. For patients seeking to address deeper wrinkles, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks, or acne scarring, 6-8 treatments would be our recommendation spaced at six-week intervals. Other patients opt for one or two microneedling sessions each year for skin maintenance.
Learn more about microneedling treatment with DermaPen by calling (866) 676-3242 or contacting La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinc through the form on this page to schedule your complimentary initial consultation.